My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://mycupcakenotebook.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

DIY: Blackberry Jam and Syrup

Hello everyone!

If the last two recipes are any indication, you will know that I have been in possession of a good amount of blackberries lately. The main culprit is my sister's dog, Curro, who happens to be an excellent blackberry hunter! Just look at him! He even chooses the ripest ones!


We only had a small container but it was enough for at least 4 cakes and then some. But, of course, the blackberries would have ended going bad if I kept waiting for another recipe to inspire me. 

 
Of course, jam was the answer. But not any recipe. I looked for ideas in Pinterest and found this Blackberry Simple Syrup by Living better together. I did not, however, follow her recipe completely, and I ended up not only with syrup but also with a small jar of jam.


I used this jam in my last cake, Chocolate and Blackberry Cake, as a filling. It gives a touch of bitterness to the sweet flavour of chocolate and cream cheese frosting.

Blackberry Jam and Syrup

Ingredientes

  • 200g sugar
  • 250ml water
  • 225g fresh blackberries


Directions

  • Pour all the ingredients in a pot, at medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring with a spoon.

  • Check that the blackberries are softened; you can crush them easily with the back of a spoon.
  • Take part of the liquid off the mix; scoop it with a spoon, carefully avoiding any fruit piece. Strain the liquid and let it cool down.
  • Keep cooking the jam until the mix thickens and turns shiny.
  • Triturate the mix and sieve it (if wanted).
  • Store the syrup in a bottle and the jam in a jar, in the fridge.


And why, you may ask, would I need this syrup for? Well you can put some in your tea, to give it a fruity touch. You can use it on your pancakes or as a topping for ice cream. Or even in cocktails! 

Here's the pdf with the recipe.

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment